Call 800-845-0202 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13730217
- Tour Operator
- Offer valid through 3/31/2018
- 19 Days
|Day 1||Buenos Aires||Overnight Flight: Begin your adventure with an overnight flight to Buenos Aires.|
|Day 2||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires, Argentina - Tour Begins: Arrive this morning in Buenos Aires, the 'Paris of South America' and home of the tango. Enjoy a Portenos tour, viewing the Teatro Colon opera house; Avenida 9 de Julio honoring Argentinean independence; the Recoleta Cemetery, where 'Evita' rests in her tomb; the Presidential Palace; the Casa Rosada; and the San Telmo barrio lined with cobblestone streets. Tonight, meet your fellow travelers during your welcome dinner at a local restaurant.|
|Day 3||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires: Today is at leisure to experience this lively city. Browse the boutiques of Calle Florida or visit one of the many renowned art museums. Or perhaps you'll choose to take the optional Tigre y Delta trip and pass by historic mansions and former residences of Buenos Aires' aristocracy; then a cruise takes us among a network of homes built on stilts.|
|Day 4||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires - Ushuaia: This morning you fly* to Ushuaia, the world's southernmost city, situated on the Patagonian peninsula overlooking the historic Beagle Channel. Explore the 'Land of Fire' at Tierra del Fuego National Park. Walk the shores of Roca Lake and see evidence of the settlements of the now-extinct Yamana indigenous people, and visit Lapataia Bay where the Panamerican Highway ends.|
|Day 5||Ushuaia||Ushuaia - Embark Ship: The morning is yours to enjoy free time in this famous port town before boarding the state-of-the-art MS Fram expedition vessel. On this special Antarctic Circle expedition, venture far into areas that are permanently iced down and unnavigable in the winter. Only during some short austral summer weeks are these waters welcoming to expedition vessels. You will plow deep south into the Antarctic Circle on one of only two annual departures to witness what winter-locked Antarctic landscapes look like!|
|Day 6||The Drake Passage||The Drake Passage: Cruise south through the fabled Drake Passage, named for the legendary Sir Francis Drake. Warmer waters of the north meet the colder, denser waters of the south here in the Antarctic Convergence, making the area rich in marine life. Spot whales and sea birds as you begin this voyage of exploration. Experts provide presentations on history, biology and geology throughout your adventure.|
|Day 7||The Drake Passage||The Drake Passage - Antarctica: Arrive in Antarctica - the last great wilderness stretching across ice-covered desert and mountains for over five million square miles. The ethereal beauty and immense scale of the continent is like nowhere else on the planet. Follow in the footsteps of the great explorersâ?¦the privilege of witnessing this fragile, remote environment is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.|
|Day 8||Antarctica||Antarctica: The next nine days are filled with discovery! Weather conditions determine each sailing's final itinerary. Regardless, adventure awaits. First, cruise through the astounding, glacier-lined Lemaire Channel - 'Kodak Gap' - and enter the majestic Neumayer Channel with its imposing cliffs. Humpback, Killer and Minke whales - and icebergs - are common sights. PolarCirkel (rugged excursion) boats take you to incredible locations along the Antarctic Peninsula which could include: |
- Half Moon Island, a small island in the South Shetland chain boasting mountainous views and a nesting place for Chinstrap penguins, Kelp gulls and Antarctic tern.
|Day 9||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Whalers Bay, Deception Island, featuring an active volcanic caldera. Zodiac into Whalers Bay where ruins from a 20th-century whaling station rest ashore. The black volcanic sand and waters upon the beach are warmed by geothermal vents.
|Day 10||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Neko Harbor, part of the Antarctic mainland nestled in the fjord-like Andvord Bay, where penguins plus Elephant and Weddel seals are often spotted.
- Antarctic Sound & Brown Bluff. Hear the tale of the 1903 Swedish polar expedition which met its fate here at "Iceberg Alley." At Brown Bluff you may have the chance to stroll the beach with the cute Adelie penguins.
|Day 11||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Port Lockroy, a harbor on Goudier Island and former British base, hosting cormorants and surrounded by glaciers and ice shelves. Here you can mail home a postcard with a rare Antarctic stamp!
- Wilhelmina Bay, where mountains and high glaciers create dramatic scenery. View the 1915 wreck of the Norwegian ship, Guvern ren.
|Day 12||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Yankee Harbor, on the South Shetland Islands, was once the base of operations for early sealers. Today it still provides a natural safe haven for sailors and explorers like you who come to see the large colony of Gentoo penguins.
|Day 13||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Cuverville Island, sitting on the scenic Errera Channel, offers up excitement before you even make landfall. Embark upon a thrilling passage through the channel amid dramatic icebergs. Once on shore you will be surrounded by throngs of nesting penguins.
- Almirante Brown Research Station in Paradise Harbor, where Gentoo and Chinstrap penguins nest.
|Day 14||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Petermann Island's location on the picturesque Penola Strait makes it a great place to spot icebergs and whales. Marvel at spectacular views across the channel to the Antarctic Peninsula.
|Day 15||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Detaille Island, where you will find the former Station W which was in operation from February 21st, 1956 until March 31st, 1959. The personnel here conducted surveying, geology and meteorology work. The base was evacuated when the sea ice and weather made relief by ship impossible. The surveyors then closed the station and transferred to Horseshoe Island (Station Y).
|Day 16||Antarctica||Antarctica: Continue your visits by PolarCirkel boats to locations which could include:|
- Horseshoe Island, which occupies most of the entrance of Square Bay, resting on the west coast of Grahman Land. It was discovered and named descriptively in 1936-37. Horseshoe Island (Station Y) is an important example of a relatively unaltered and completely equipped British scientific research station of the 1950s. It was established in March 1955 by the Falkland Islands Dependencies Survey as Station Y and closed in August 1960. Extensive survey trips, often covering hundreds of miles and lasting several months, were undertaken from the station using dog sleds. Inside, the station contains almost all of its original contents, fixtures and fittings.
|Day 17||Antarctica||Antarctica - The Drake Passage: Leave Antarctica, crossing the southern waters of the Drake Passage. Participate in engaging lectures on Antarctica's wonders.|
|Day 18||The Drake Passage||The Drake Passage: Spend another day crossing Drake Passage. Enjoy many interesting discussions that reflect on the unforgettable images and experiences of this amazing continent.|
|Day 19||The Drake Passage||The Drake Passage - Ushuaia, Argentina - Disembark Ship - Buenos Aires: Disembark the ship in Ushuaia, transfer to the airport* and return to Buenos Aires. This evening, celebrate the end of your journey as you enjoy a dinner featuring Argentine favorites and a tango performance! Admire the passion and artistry of the show, meet the dancers and even try some steps of your own.|
|Day 20||Buenos Aires||Buenos Aires - Tour Ends: Board your overnight flight to return home.|
- Brick Hotel Buenos Aires Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Hurtigruten Seattle, United States
- Alto Andino Hotel Ushuaia, Argentina
- * NOTE:Tour prices are land only rates based on per person, double occupancy. Some dates may feature various changes in hotels, sightseeing and inclusions. Please confirm your specific itinerary at the time of booking. Government taxes and fees are additional. Land rates are guaranteed at time of deposit. Certain taxes and fees are to be paid upon exiting the country in local currencies.
Airfare is additional and is available through Collette Vacations.